Sunday Afternoon 8/23/2015

We’ve had a couple of brushes earlier this summer with eastern Pacific hurricanes that thankfully turned out to be not all that, but the one that’s currently on deck, Kilo, looks to be the real deal. Almost all current projections show that it will reach hurricane status, possibly Category 2, and up until today it looked liked Kaua’i was going to be directly in its path.

See how it starts to turn to the west early Friday morning? Fingers crossed . . .

But, this morning’s forecast on the NOAA tracker predicts that while the storm will still be turning and heading north toward the islands, it should also turn to the west in time to miss us.

So . . . big, big sighs of relief here this morning. We stay prepared for storms, but it’s always best if they just don’t show up. Fingers are all crossed that the prediction holds and Kilo gives us a wide berth.

In the meantime, on this very steamy afternoon I am:

• Reading: My library loan of Snow Country ended before I could finish it. I had a difficult time this past week finding time to read, and usually fell asleep after reading just a page or two, so the fault is purely my own. I have no idea what I want to read next.
  • Listening to: The hum of the fans. It’s been exceptionally hot and humid here the past few days and today is more of the same.
  • Watching: Brett and I finished the Inspector Morse series yesterday evening (I still teared up when Lewis says good-bye to Morse at the end), so tonight we have just Midsomer Murders. We’ve been talking about wanting to watch Criminal Minds, so may start that, but we also have a whole list of great crime dramas that are available for streaming that we’re going to look that over to see if something else catches our fancy.
  • Cooking/baking: I made a matcha-chocolate chip cake yesterday, so no baking today. It’s too hot again anyway. Everyone was on their own for breakfast this morning, and dinner tonight was supposed to be Sticky Hoisin Roast Chicken Wings along with some rice and a salad, but it’s just too hot to turn on the oven. I think instead we’ll have some grilled teriyaki chicken thighs; nice, cool zaru soba; and a sliced cucumber salad.
  • Happy I accomplished this past week: This last week was another not particularly ambitious one for me. We did get to the beach and the farmers’ market, and I got my hair cut, did some baking and got lots of chores done around the house but otherwise didn’t do anything remarkable.
  • Looking forward to next week: I’m hoping to wake up on Tuesday or Wednesday and learn that Kilo is definitely heading west rather than heading to Kaua’i. There’s not a lot we can plan or count on right now until we’re sure the storm will not be coming our way. If it does look like it will miss us, Brett and I will do our big monthly Costco shop on Tuesday. I both look forward to and dread that experience, but supplies are getting low.
  • Grateful for: I’ve been through two hurricanes/typhoons in my life (a Category 1 hurricane in Key West, and a Category 3 typhoon in Japan), and while they were not fun and quite scary at times, I am thankful that I somewhat now know what to expect and am able to better prepare for a big storm’s arrival and aftermath. I’m also thankful we live up in the hills, and do not have to worry about storm surges or flooding.
  • Bonus question: Do you follow politics? Yes; I’m actually a bit of a political junkie, and keep a close watch on what’s going on in the world of politics. I read the news daily, as well as some political blogs, but I don’t watch any cable news (nor want to). I was raised that politics was not something to be discussed in polite society, so you will never read any of my beliefs or opinions, or who I’m voting for, or what drives me crazy and so forth, here on the blog. I love to talk politics and enjoy a good debate, but this is not the venue for it.

How is your Sunday afternoon going? How did this past week go for you? What’s coming up that you’re excited about?

8 thoughts on “Sunday Afternoon 8/23/2015

1. Nancy says:

I certainly enjoy reading your posts. It’s always fun to read Sunday’s in particular. I like reading what shows you’ve been watching, many that we’ve seen, and many that we haven’t. I really enjoyed Doc Martin. Do you recommend any others that are like it?

Doc Martin is in a class all of its own – off the top of my head I can’t think of any other shows that are anything like it. I can’t wait for the next season to be available on Netflix!

I’d like to find another show like it as well. I feel like I need a break from all these mysteries (although I love them). Non-mystery shows I’ve loved, outside of Downton Abbey, are Call the Midwife and Mr. Selfridge.

P.S. I ended up watching Sherlock on PBS last night – it was The Hound of the Baskervilles, my favorite Holmes story. The modern version did not disappoint (and Sherlock is another excellent series – can’t wait for Season 4 to arrive!).

• Nancy says:

Thank you, Laura. Thanks for the suggestions. I do need you go back and watch ‘Call the Midwife’. I saw a few of them and liked them. I probably should give Mr. Selfridge another try. I watched two episodes and enjoyed them, but really did not like Mr. Selfridge’s personality. Downton Abbey is such a fun show. We, too, are looking forward to a new season of ‘Sherlock.’ Thank you.

Mr. Selfridge’s personality takes some getting used to – I found it exhausting at first – but I came to really like his exuberance and willingness to take risks.

It looks like Kilo is going to head off in the other direction and miss us altogether. We are still getting some very weird weather though because of it passing by. Yesterday it felt like we were wrapped in very warm, wet cotton all day – so uncomfortably humid from all the warm, moist air the storm pushed our way. Today (Monday) it’s cool, rainy and windy – a big relief after yesterday. Events around the island have still been rescheduled though because there is still time and the possibility for the storm to change direction yet again.

2. Vivian says:

Not a great week for me, I had a severe reaction to the “picote” creme the dermatologist prescribed. I won’t be using that again.

Avocados are falling like crazy. Six this morning. We took some of those and some starfruit to Daddy’s doctor. They appreciate it and we simply can’t eat all the fruit that is being produced.

We are watching ts/hurricane Danny which keeps changing in strength.

I hope your hurricane follows a different path. Good luck

I envy your too-much-fruit problem!

Looks like Kilo will be heading off in a different direction, but we’re still all keeping an eye on it as there is still plenty of time for things to change. Hurricanes have been known to change direction and come back to do terrible damage.

Hope the doctor can find a substitute for the creme that gave you trouble.