The video above starts out quite dark, but I hope you’ll stick with it. YaYu took it from her bedroom window when the storm woke up her, some time between 2:30 and 3:00 a.m. on Saturday morning. It’s pitch dark outside, but the lightning strikes start coming fairly quickly. There’s an almost too-close-for-comfort strike at the 1:20 mark – yikes!
Anyway, it’s a cool-ish Sunday morning here at Casa Aloha. It’s overcast again up here in the hills but there’s a lovely breeze. The thunderstorms that began last Friday evening and lasted into yesterday morning have left (the girls’ cross country meet yesterday morning had to be cancelled because of thunder and lightning), but the storms brought along some much-needed rain and much-appreciated cooler temperatures. I love a good thunderstorm, but they are rare in Hawai’i so the storms were a treat, and Friday night’s storm provided quite the show at times. Locals and long-time residents say this is the hottest summer they can remember. Water temperatures around the islands are also warmer than normal. The ocean down by Lihue, on the east side, was measured at 84.5° the other day, not very refreshing on a hot day.
We got a counter offer back yesterday on our initial offer for the house, but it’s still quite a bit more than we want to spend, so on to round two. We knew our offer was low, but wanted to get an idea of how much they would come down on the price (not much). Their offer seems to signal though that they’re willing to negotiate but not give the house away. Our agent confirmed that initial asking prices here on the island are typically set with negotiation over price expected (unlike Portland, where it was not unlikely to get full asking price or above), and she feels the price we want to end up at is very fair, so we will be presenting another offer on Monday. We like the house and hope we get it, but know our limit and won’t be crushed if things don’t work out.
We also got one hint this past week of maybe why the VA has dropped approval for the complex where The Prince is located: we saw an ad where someone has taken one of the three bedroom units, divided it in half and is now renting out two apartments! Both look nice, but they’re definitely not legal. Also, The Pauper dropped its asking price by $14,000. That unit is a hot mess, but for someone with handyman skills it would be a steal.
Otherwise, today I am:
- Reading: I finished To Hell and Back last night, and will start reading Seabiscuit (again) tonight. James Cameron (Avatar, Titanic, Terminator, etc.) has apparently met with survivors, has optioned the rights to To Hell and Back, and has promised the survivors that he will make the film about the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings. I cannot even begin to imagine though how anything so horrific could be portrayed on film.
- Listening to: It’s very quiet here this morning at Casa Aloha. There’s the sound of the breeze blowing through the palms outside, but that’s about it.
- Watching: Our local PBS station is re-running episodes of Sherlock, so Brett and I plan to watch that tonight, and will follow with either an episode of Lewis or Midsomer Murders.
- Cooking/baking: Brett made big, delicious banana-coconut-macadamia nut pancakes this morning (and used up the last of some sour milk). Dinner tonight is potstickers, rice and some kind of Asian-y coleslaw.
- Happy I accomplished this past week: Getting the offer finished and submitted for the house. I forgot how much work it takes to get everything lined up, all the T’s crossed and I’s dotted. Fingers crossed that they find our next offer more to their liking!
- Looking forward to next week: We didn’t make it to the beach last week (too hot or too busy), so hopefully we can go this week. I’m also hoping we can come to an agreement on a price for the house this week, but if not, it wasn’t meant to be.
- Grateful for: That we can even think about buying a house here, and that we found something nice in our price range (which is pretty low for the area).
- Bonus question: What would you do if someone handed you $100 and told you to spend it on something outside of your regular expenses? Well, I would ask how long I had to spend it, and if there were no time limit I would put it in our mystery trip fund for next year! But, if I had to spend it immediately I would probably take us all out to dinner. There are so many good places to eat here on the island and we rarely go out to eat so it would be a treat. It’s always a treat when I don’t have to do the dishes too.
How was your week? What are you looking forward to in the coming week?