I wasn’t sure if I would find any time to write this weekend – it’s been kind of crazy around here, I haven’t been sleeping well and I’m exhausted. The girls and I were up early yesterday morning (like 5:30 a.m. early), and spent the morning at their cross country meet. The weather the past few days has been stormy and windy, and was questionable yesterday morning, but the rain held off and they had a great meet, with their team earning first. I was so impressed by the sportsmanship shown throughout the meet by both the runners and the parents and other spectators. Kaua’i is basically a small town, so while you run for your team, you also support everyone no matter which school they represent. Parents lined the race route and encouraged all runners during the races, and students lined the finish and cheered for everyone that came through, staying until the final runner made it in.
After the meet we made a quick stop at the nearby community college farmers’ market, and then came home and crashed for a couple of hours.
The rest of the weekend has been spent finishing up WenYu’s scholarship application. She wrote, and I edited, and back and forth we went, and were still polishing things up this morning. But, just a short while ago she checked everything over and hit the submit button – YEAH! The application required eight essays: one long, one medium length and six short ones. It took a real effort on her part to get them all written, not because of the subject matter but because of all the other things she is involved in and the commitments she has to keep. She’s going to take a couple of weeks off now from applications because the next one isn’t due until November 10, and another following on December 1. My senior year was busy, but I sure don’t remember having anything close to the pressure WenYu is under these days.
Brett continues to have a great time on his trip. Today he and his sister will be visiting Monterey and Carmel in California, and tomorrow they head down to California’s Central Coast. Brett is looking forward to visiting Solvang again!
Anyway, this afternoon I am:
- Reading: I’m almost finished with Atomic Sushi, a book of short essays about living in Japan, written by an English professor of philosophy invited to teach for a year at Tokyo University, one of the most prestigious universities in Japan. His point of view is different from others I’ve read, but still insightful and interesting.
- Listening to: Soft bird calls, the rain coming and going, and occasional rustling of the palms as the wind blows through. Another tropical depression is moving through the islands bringing lots of rain and (much appreciated) cooler temperatures.
- Watching: This past week I watched the 10-part 2001 mini series, Band of Brothers, about the exploits of “Easy Company” of the 101st Airborne in Europe during WWII. Easy Company parachuted into Normandy on D-Day, fought at Bastogne and The Battle of the Bulge and were in Germany until the end of the war. The entire series was very moving, especially the insights and memories from surviving members of the company that preceded each episode. This evening I’m going to start watching the companion series, The Pacific, about the WWII Marine experience on the other side of the world.
- Cooking/baking: I’m hoping to make a large pan of blueberry buckle this afternoon; half will be frozen and the other half will be for breakfast and snacks this week. Dinner tonight will be omelets with goat cheese, sautéed onions and spinach along with some biscuits. We bought a jar of mango-chipotle jam yesterday at the farmers’ market and can’t wait to enjoy it on a hot biscuit tonight!
- Happy I accomplished this past week: Getting myself and the girls up on time every morning has been an accomplishment. I am not a morning person, and have not had to wake up to an alarm for a l-o-n-g time, so every morning up on time has been a victory.
- Looking forward to next week: I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the skies will clear by tonight so we can view the blood moon and the eclipse. The girls and I are going to view another recently refurbished unit this afternoon in condominium complex where The Prince is located. Sadly The Prince went under contract yesterday, apparently to an investor who already has it listed for rent on Craigslist, but Brett told me that if I like this other unit to go ahead and make our offer. I’m also excited about his return home at the end of the week, but happy he is having such a good time.
- Grateful for: The opportunity to have some time alone with both WenYu and YaYu. I enjoy their company so much, and it’s been fun chatting with them and catching up on all their goings on. We’ve been busy, but are having a good time together.
- Bonus question: Do you have a Twitter account? I finally got around to opening one this past week based on the girls’ encouragement and am having a blast with it. I haven’t really started tweeting yet, but am thoroughly enjoying reading tweets from everyone I’m following. It’s addicting!
I hope you are enjoying a happy and restful Sunday afternoon, and that you had a great week!