First, thank you for all the lovely comments and congratulations on Friday’s post. We are all still over the moon over WenYu’s acceptance at Colorado College as well her financial aid award. She will most likely accept it, but doesn’t have to commit until May 1 of next year. She’s still going to apply to Scripps College in California, and is already in the pool for regular decision at Wellesley, so wants to wait and see what happens with them. But, she’s strong on Colorado – she knows it’s the most selective of all the schools on her list, and the financial aid award is amazing.
I was also thrilled to be able to call and tell my mom that WenYu had been accepted at Colorado. My mom graduated from CC in 1945, and WenYu wrote a bit about her grandmother’s experience there in one of her essays, connecting it to her own reasons for wanting to attend.
Our family is having a GREAT time together! Yesterday morning we all went out to breakfast at our favorite spot in town (the day before I fixed breakfast for everyone here), then YaYu and I went with our son and family to ride the train at the Kilohana Plantation. Later today we’re having our “official” family photo session, a one-hour shoot with the photographer in a garden setting, and this evening our son is taking his sisters to see the new Star Wars movie. You’ve got to love Kaua’i – no ticket pre-sales, and the theater owner said if one theater fills up, he’ll just open another and show the movie there to any overflow, even if it’s just five people! And, tomorrow evening we’re heading to the luau – we’re all looking forward to it.
In the meantime, this afternoon I am:
- Reading: I stayed up into the wee hours last night to finish The Last Taxi Ride – couldn’t put it down. It was a good mystery and now I want to read the first book by the same author. I’m ready to start The Martian by Andy Weir. It was recently made into a movie, starring Matt Damon, and got great reviews.
- Listening to: Lots of birds singing. It was raining earlier this morning, but now that that’s cleared off and the birds are out and singing.
- Watching: We’ve been watching Disney movies with our grandson whenever they’re over at the house. His current favorite is Mary Poppins, but we’re going to introduce him to Babe this week. Brett and I still try to squeeze in one of the M&Ms after things quiet down at night. It’s looking though like we won’t be able to finish them all by the end of the year.
- Cooking/baking: This evening I’m putting together a “Mediterranean feast:” spanakopita, pita bread, falafel, tzaziki, hummus, feta cheese, cucumbers and tomatoes. YUM!
- Happy I accomplished last week: I don’t think I accomplished anything at all other than to enjoy the time my family. Now that I think about it though, washing dishes for eight people (sometimes twice a day) has been an accomplishment, if nothing else.
- Looking forward to next week: Christmas with the family! Everything is ready – the food has been bought, the presents wrapped. (However, I am NOT looking forward to our son’s departure next Saturday.)
- Grateful for: I am beyond grateful for the financial aid that Colorado College awarded WenYu, making the opportunity to attend such a great college affordable.
- Bonus question: What would you like to get for Christmas this year? I don’t need or want anything, but if someone had to get me something, I’d greatly appreciate an Amazon gift card so that I could order more books for my Kindle. I guess a Starbucks card wouldn’t be so bad either. I don’t go there very much, but it would be nice to have a gift card to cover things when I did.
I hope you’ve all enjoyed a relaxing Sunday and that you’re looking forward to the coming week!