Well, last week went exactly as planned, but I’m not entirely sure I can repeat my success this week . . . we’ll see.
We have two special family events going on this week: Chinese New Year today and WenYu’s birthday on Friday, with special meals planned for both. We’re also hoping to get together for dinner on Tuesday with friends Denise and Jim up where they’re staying, but still have to coordinate with them about what we’ll be having (and what the girls will have at home).
I’m also going to try out two new vegan recipes this week. Both contain tofu, but our whole family likes it so I don’t think it will be a problem because both recipes sound delicious. I’ll personally be having a LOT of tofu this week.
Here’s what’s planned:
- Monday: Crispy orange ginger tofu with broccoli; steamed rice. This looks delicious and the orange sauce makes it a good fit for the Chinese New Year. Oranges are traditionally served at CNY because the word for orange sounds like “wealth” and the bright orange color symbolizes gold and is auspicious for bringing good fortune. Fresh, locally grown broccoli was at the farmers’ market last week.
- Tuesday: ??? We’ll be hopefully getting together with D & J tonight and will have a plan for what we’re having by dinner time.
- Wednesday: Barbecue pulled pork sandwiches and cole slaw. I will simmer some fried tofu in barbecue sauce for my sandwich.
- Thursday: Grilled teriyaki chicken; zaru soba; cucumber salad. I will substitute hiyayakko (chilled tofu) for the chicken.
- Friday: Macaroni & cheese; green beans. It’s WenYu’s birthday and this is what she requested. I’m not sure yet what I’ll have. I’ll also bake a chocolate cake of some kind.
- Saturday: Drunken noodles with tofu and peppers. This is another new recipe that I’ve been dying to try out. It looks delicious, and we all love noodles. Hopefully it won’t be too incredibly spicy (I will probably leave out the Thai chili – they are HOT).
- Sunday: Cheeseburger pie; French fries; salad. I will have a bowl of lentil soup and some of the fries and vegetable.
We’ll see how it goes!