All went according to plan, menu wise, last week except that midweek we ended up with a refrigerator full of leftovers. There were so many that I decided instead of serving the hot dogs and macaroni salad that were one the menu we would eat leftovers that evening instead. We all rose to the occasion and the leftovers are now gone, or at least manageable again.
I’m continuing my eating plan from last month, with no changes. No meat or dairy, but I can have fish, the occasional egg, or honey if it shows up in something.
Our family still enjoys sitting down together for dinner every evening, even if it’s just leftovers, and are mostly successful except during track season (most other sports meets are held on Saturday mornings). Most of the time we all chat together, but sometimes these days WenYu and YaYu talk with each other about school news or upcoming events while Brett and I hold down our own conversation at the other end of the table. YaYu is responsible for setting and clearing the table, Brett puts aways the leftovers, and I do the cooking (Brett does the grilling) and the dishes when we’re done. Although I was used to having just the three of us at the table when our son was growing up, I loved dinner time when all three of the girls were growing up. It felt very sad when our table grew smaller after Meiling left for the mainland, and know there will be more sadness and adjustment after WenYu has left for college. I think YaYu is already wondering (dreading?) how it will go being stuck at the dinner table all alone with her two old parents. I however intend to enjoy evening minutes of these next two years with her as our ‘only.’
Here’s what’s on the menu at Casa Aloha next week:
- Tuesday (tonight): Grilled hot dogs (veggie dog for me); macaroni salad; corn on the cob
- Wednesday: Spicy steak pizzaiola (using up the rest of the London broil); bread; grilled zucchini (I’ll have pasta with marinara)
- Thursday: Cuban bowls (saffron rice topped with Cuban-style black beans, roasted sweet potatoes, fried bananas and pico de gallo salsa)
- Friday: Open-faced hot turkey sandwiches; cornbread stuffing (vegan); steamed green beans (just stuffing and beans for me)
- Saturday: Grilled Italian sausage sandwiches with sautéed peppers and onions (vegan sausage for me)
- Sunday: Breakfast for dinner: Bacon & eggs; fried potatoes; toast; and fruit (vegan sausage for me)
- Monday: Chicken ravioli with pesto; garlic bread; grilled zucchini (I’ll have pasta with marinara again)
Once again, fingers crossed!