I am out of the kitchen this week, except to do the dishes and clean-up (which for some strange reason I like to do). YaYu has decided the week’s menu and will be cooking dinner for us all this week, with WenYu serving as her sous chef when needed.
YaYu (age 16) has chosen some fairly ambitious meals, but I’m confident she can handle it. The hardest obstacle, she believes, will be timing, but she knows how to set up her mise en place, and will have everything ready to go before starting, or at least thought out. Both she and I are very excited about this week for different reasons: she’s been wanting to be in the kitchen for a while now but hasn’t had the time, and I’m looking forward to seeing what she can do as well as having some time off.
Here’s YaYu’s menu plan:
- Tuesday (this evening): Japanese-style curry with tofu, potato, carrots, green beans and onion; served over rice.
- Wednesday: Chicken Alfredo over fettucini; bread; grilled zucchini (dad will be doing the grilling). Just fettucini, bread and zucchini for me.
- Thursday: Egg drop soup and pork won tons. The girls will hand make the won tons in the afternoon. Not sure yet what I’ll have.
- Friday: Chicken parmesan; spaghetti; green salad. I’ll have some “chicken-less” nuggets with sauce over spaghetti (no cheese though).
- Saturday: Leftovers
- Sunday: Gnocchi with fresh marinara; grilled Italian sausages; zucchini (YaYu’s favorite vegetable)
- Monday: Mabo nasu (eggplant) made with tofu instead of ground pork; steamed rice
Everything sounds delicious – I’ll let you know how it goes!