While we are not exactly scraping the bottom of the barrel yet, we are really getting low on supplies around here. We’ve run out of several items, and the girls have been complaining there’s nothing to eat for snacks, etc. Both of them are very active, and eat a LOT. Neither of them is very big on sweets either, although they do like them now and again.
So, I thought about doing our big monthly shop this week instead of next week. But when? There’s absolutely no time in between the myriad of activities the girls are scheduled for this week, and WenYu wants to go along whenever we do go to check out backpacks. She needs a new one for college, and Costco has some that are reasonably priced.
After much thought though I gave up on doing the shop this week, and Brett and the girls went to Costco yesterday afternoon after the girls’ dental appointments for a very few things to tide us over until next week: mayonnaise, bread, luncheon meats (the girls have been clamoring for things to make sandwiches), spinach, and the girls’ beloved ramen. WenYu found a backpack.
Waiting on shopping until next week gives me time to think about what we actually need to buy. YaYu goes back to school in a couple more weeks, and after WenYu leaves next month there will just be three of us to cook for. YaYu likes taking leftovers for her lunch, but has asked for a larger Thermos. I’m a very hungry girl these days, she says. Also, YaYu joined our family when she was five years old and many of her taste preferences were firmly in place by then, so she has always been happiest with Asian and spicy flavors, as well as rice, noodles and dark greens. She doesn’t even like bacon all that much (heresy, I know) and could happily go without cheese other than some occasional Parmesan or melted cheddar. So, with me skipping meat or dairy these days, and wanting to honor YaYu’s preferences, how and what I cook, and what we buy, is going to change (Brett thankfully eats everything with no complaint), and I want some time to think about that.
In the meantime, here’s what’s on the menu this week. Other than spaghetti tonight, it’s very Asian-y:
- Tuesday (this evening): Spaghetti with pesto; grilled Italian sausages; grilled zucchini; garlic bread (I’ll have a couple of “meatless” meatballs instead of a sausage).
- Wednesday: Pad thai with shrimp; cucumbers
- Thursday: Ham & vegetable fried rice (no ham in mine)
- Friday: Slow cooker cashew tofu; steamed rice; sliced mango (I’m using the linked recipe, but substituting sautéed tofu for the chicken; I also add a cup of diced celery toward the end)
- Saturday: Leftovers
- Sunday: Grilled teriyaki chicken; zaru soba; Japanese cucumber salad (“chickenless” nuggets for me with teriyaki sauce)
- Monday: Vegetable lo mein; chicken potstickers; ‘Asian’ coleslaw; steamed rice
I fixed everything on last week’s menu with no changes other than swapping days, so here’s hoping I can do it again this week!