Brett will officially be on KP (“kitchen patrol”) duty this week. I saw my doctor yesterday and have been put on bed rest with heat applied to my back, given pain medication, and I’ll start a round of physical therapy next week to get rid of what apparently is a nasty knot of nerves and muscle in my lower back. What I won’t be doing is standing in the kitchen to cook (or wash dishes), at least not for the next few days.
Brett has been doing a great job getting dinner on the table, and made a delicious balsamic pork roast on Sunday and chicken adobo yesterday. He and I put our heads together yesterday afternoon and came up with a menu that he feels comfortable tackling this coming week (with some help from YaYu). None of the recipes are too complicated, and we included an extra night of leftovers because they seem to have been accumulating faster than usual.
Hopefully I’ll be back on my feet and back in the kitchen soon. The new pain medication is already making a difference, and I know the therapy will help as well. In the meantime, Brett’s got the KP duty.
This week we’re having:
- Tuesday (this evening): Leftovers
- Wednesday: Grilled lemon chicken thighs; quinoa salad; grilled zucchini (‘chickenless’ nuggets for me)
- Thursday: Pizza for Brett and me; YaYu has her cross country spaghetti dinner tonight
- Friday: Leftovers again (not sure when the cross country meet will be over)
- Saturday: Tuna noodle casserole
- Sunday: Slow cooker Thai-style pork stew; steamed jasmine rice; cucumber salad (not sure yet what I’ll have)
- Monday: Spaghetti with marinara and meatballs (vegan meatballs for me); garlic bread; steamed broccoli
We’ll need to get parsley, limes, zucchini, cucumbers and broccoli from the farmers’ market this week but otherwise we have everything we need on hand.
Keeping my fingers crossed and thinking good thoughts that I’ll be cooking again next week!