Sunday Afternoon 10/23/2016

img_2438

Waipouli Beach Resort

My good friend Joy, who lives up in Princeville, has arranged another spa day for us next month at the Waipouli Beach Resort in Kapaa. We went last year and had an amazing day, and she was able to sweet talk the spa into once again giving us complimentary full day pool passes so that after our spa treatments (massages and facials this time) we can enjoy the hot tubs (six of them, all with sand bottoms) and fabulous swimming pool as well as lunch at the resort’s restaurant on the beach. Joy and I never run out of things to talk about, and I’m excited about getting together and setting the world straight again. Fingers are crossed for good weather on that day!

I am also feeling super happy about those fares I purchased last weekend for our March trip to Japan. On Monday morning, I went back to check on something and the fares had gone back up to $152 more per person, so apparently I stumbled on to a weekend special of some kind. I was also able to upgrade our seats to premium economy, and will have a post up tomorrow with some thoughts about seat upgrades and ways to potentially save on those. There are some lower fares out there right now for our destination, but there’s a reason for that – some of the trips are 19 to 30+ hours long – no thanks!

Mom staffing the sale table!

Mom staffing the sale table!

My mom is still hanging in there. This past week my sister and niece helped Mom have a craft sale at her residence. Mom had a successful craft business for many years selling crocheted items, so this little sale was a nostalgic one, and she enjoyed making things to sell (and sold quite a bit, too!). We thought she might not live through this month, and yet here she was doing her craft thing once again. Yeah Mom!

This afternoon I am:

• Reading: I finished The Secret Place with just a few hours to spare on my download, and was going to start Truevine: Two Brothers, a Kidnapping, and a Mother’s Quest: A True Story of the Jim Crow South, about the abduction of two young Black boys, both albino, to be exhibited as circus ‘freaks,’ and their mother’s years’ long search to find them and bring them home. The Doll Master and Other Tales of Terror, by Joyce Carol Oates, was recommended too so I downloaded and started that book last night. I was expecting some frightening, ‘traditional’ horror stories, but the monsters in these stories are the ones that already live among us. Reality has always been more frightening than fiction.
  • Listening to: It’s cool today; there’s a lovely breeze blowing even though the sky is blue. Lots and lots of birds are singing, and some roosters are making a racket a couple of blocks away, but otherwise the neighborhood is quiet. YaYu had a long, busy day yesterday and is still sleeping in; Brett is reading so all is quiet inside too. My kind of day!
  • Watching: Brett and I have been binge-watching Longmire on Netflix. Such a good series! We just started the second season (out of five) on Friday evening, before I switched over to the Hamilton special on PBS.
  • Cooking/baking: Brett and I bought a giant apple pie at Costco this past week, and because it will take us a while to finish that there’ll be no baking for a while. Dinner tonight is panzanella (Italian bread salad) with garbanzo beans – I’ll be putting that together later this afternoon. The bread cubes are toasting now in the oven.
  • Happy I accomplished this past week: Brett and I got our monthly Costco shop done last Tuesday, and spent way less than usual even though it felt like we were buying more than usual (i.e. Halloween candy). I have had no problems shopping at Costco since I hurt my back because the carts provide good support, but this last week I left in agony for some reason. I was fine the next day, but did not enjoy myself at all while we were shopping (and sadly the Japanese cakes are not in yet either). The Halloween candy has been divided up among the girls, and packages are ready to go out to Meiling and WenYu tomorrow. We also got a package ready with our granddaughter’s baby gift and that will be sent tomorrow as well. Otherwise I spent most of the week once again resting my back.
  • Looking forward to next week: Other than my two PT appointments we have nothing planned for next week. I’m looking forward to reading, trying out another macaroni and cheese recipe (this past week’s recipe was amazing), and continuing to help my back feel better. Little by little I’m getting back to my normal routine, and picking up some of my chores again.14796238_10153953366798091_22096649_o
  • Thinking of good things that happened: My daughter-in-law sent us lots more pictures (and video) of our new granddaughter and grandson. Our grandson is totally smitten with his new sister; it’s easy to see in the pictures how much he adores her. Meiling and WenYu both called a couple of times last week to chat – they’re both doing well and are happy, and I love hearing about what they’re doing. A good friend from Portland, who I hadn’t spoken with in a while, also called last Thursday and we had a good, long catch-up. And, I ‘won’ the Neko Atsume (Cat Collection) game – I finally got all the mementos! I’m going to continue playing and earning though because I know there will eventually be new cats added and I want to be ready. Once again we had no food waste, and we put $16.39 in the change/$1 bill jar.
  • Grateful for: I’m sure I’ve mentioned it before, but I’m again feeling very thankful to be able to download books to my Kindle for free from the library. I very rarely buy book from Amazon these days, usually only when the waiting list for a download is weeks or months long. The time limit for download checkout is very motivating as well. The library has so many wonderful services, and this is currently my favorite!
  • Bonus question: What’s your Meyers-Briggs personality type? If you’ve ever taken the Meyers-Briggs Personality Test, you know there are 16 personality types based on three different dichotomies: attitude (introvert or extrovert or I/E); functions (sensing versus intuition, S/N, and thinking versus feeling, T/F); and lifestyle preference (judging versus perception, J/P). I’m a INTJ: Introvert, Intuition, Thinking, Judging. According to 16 Personalities, “people with the INTJ personality type are imaginative yet decisive, ambitious yet private, amazingly curious, but they do not squander their energy.” The INTJ nickname is”The Architect.” It’s the rarest personality type – just 2% of the population are INTJ, and women only .8%) and sometimes difficult for INTJs to find like-minded individuals (Brett is an ENTJ, so we’re close). I’ve taken the test several times and always scored the same, and feel like the INTJ characteristics, both good and bad, describe me quite well. The most surprising discovery was how high I scored as an introvert. I grew up in a family of extroverts, and tried to act like one, but always felt ‘odd.’ It was very freeing to learn I really was an introvert, and that my wanting to be on my own was not some aberration. Anyway, if you haven’t already done so, it’s fun to take the test (free) and see if your score matches with how you see yourself!

That’s a wrap for this Sunday Afternoon! Hope all of you had a great week!

14 thoughts on “Sunday Afternoon 10/23/2016

1. UnwrittenLifeBlog says:

Seeing your mom at her craft sale table brings back wonderful memories of growing up in our local Lutheran church. My mom participated in a craft circle with a group of ladies called Hearts and Hands. They had a big sale every November and always had lots of these hand towels with the knitted tops to hang them off of cabinets or the oven. I would love to buy some from your mom, and pay for the shipping as well. It would be such a wonderful treat to have some again!

Make sure you scope out everything at the Outrigger so we can make plans for February!!

Thank you, D! My sister is sending me some photos of the different towel designs – I will forward them and you can choose which ones you want. She said she visited Mom today and she’s already back at work making more towel sets. She has literally made thousands of them over the years – she could probably crochet them in her sleep!

I will check it out, but I already know the spa, pool and restaurant are fantastic! I told my D-I-L today that that’s where they need to stay next time they come to Kaua’i.

2. JJ says:

I took the Meyers-Briggs Personality Test and came out with INTJ! It’s eerily accurate.

Love the photos of your mom and of your grandchildren.

It’s disturbing how reality is scarier than fiction at times. I was reading an article recently in an issue of Reader’s Digest about the unsolved mystery of the Sodder family. It’s a famous case so maybe you’ve heard of it, but that one always sends shivers down my spine.

Another INTJ! I had no idea we were so “rare.” Eerily accurate is a good description.

I had never heard about the Sodder family either so looked them up on Wikipedia. IMO, it could really go either way whether those children survived or not, and if they did, what happened to them?

• JJ says:

I tend to think they died in the fire, mainly because a couple of the kids were old enough to know and remember where they lived and what their names were and could have contacted the family when they were older, if they were able to. It seems there wasn’t much of an investigation and too much time has passed, so it’s doubtful it will ever be solved, but it sure is one of the more bizarre unsolved cases.

We just got back from the Big Island and I’m jet lagged after an 18 hour day. But totally worth it! We were lucky enough to catch actual visual boiling in the caldera, an event the ranger said has happened three times in eight years…he told us to buy a lotto ticket. We also did a day trip to the Pearl Harbor monuments, a VERY moving experience. All in all, a great trip. And I’m adjusting to a temp half of what we left. The brilliant fall colors and sunshine help! (And BTW, I took two library books with me on this trip on my Kindle…love it and free!)

Lovely grandkids pics. That little boy clearly loves his new sister. Just precious. And your mom! Hanging in there and still productive. That generation amazes me.

I’m an ESFJ. Just in case, I retested and it came up the same. Like you, I think it suits me…the good and the bad.

Glad you’re feeling better…hang in there!

Wonderful to hear that you had such a good time on your Hawai’i trip. We haven’t visited the Pearl Harbor site yet, but it’s high on our list. A trip to the Big Island to visit Volcano National Park is already being planned for soon after YaYu leaves for college. Go buy that Lotto ticket!

Mom is already busy making more towels! She continues to amaze me as well. Her brother once said he thought she could rule the world, and I believe him. She is unflappable, and like the Energizer Bunny just keeps going. She always has.

It’s uncanny to me how accurate the Meyers-Briggs assessment is.

4. anexactinglife says:

Hey, I am an INTJ as well, and strongly so (tested several times). When I discuss it within a group, others are still surprised when a woman is less swayed by emotion.

The resort sounds amazing. How long does it take you to get there? I love your grandkids photo: big emotional tug 🙂

We live very close to the resort, like around 10-12 minutes. It’s a longer drive for my friend, maybe about 45 minutes. It’s a condo resort, but many of the condos are booked like a regular hotel, some are rented separately by their owner, and others are used as vacation homes by owners.

I’ve taken the M-B assessment many times as well, and have always scored strongly as an INTJ. The first time I got the score I was very surprised, especially since I had never considered myself to be introverted. But, my highest score is on the introversion scale, and it’s gotten higher every time I’ve taken the test. Hmmm. I’m not easily swayed by emotion either, although I’m not unemotional. It is disconcerting to some people, and doesn’t fit preconceived notions of how women are supposed to react.

5. Vivian Gibson says:

I took the test and came out as INTP. I think it was different when I took it years ago because I think there was a J in there somewhere. interesting, thanks for the link,

Brett has also had a characteristic flip, but I read somewhere that most likely because you scored very close to the bottom, so were already close to the other characteristic, enough that the next time you took the test your score changed.

You are saying what most people do after taking the Meyer’s-Briggs assessment – that it’s eerie how correct it is, both the good and the bad.

I sure wish we could go over soon to see our new granddaughter, and spend some time with our grandson too. Our D-I-L has been fantastic though about sending lots and lots of pictures. Just four and half more months though and we’ll be there!

We think we finally know what’s causing all the back pain, but it’s going to take a while to get it better. 😦