I’m posting a day early this week because we’ll be out most of the day tomorrow with my friend and former high school classmate, Becky, and her traveling companion. Becky’s husband, Richard, passed away at the end of August, but as Hawai’i was one of her husband’s favorite destinations, she decided to go ahead and take the all-island cruise they had booked earlier in the year. We have a full day planned tomorrow with shopping, lunch, a rum tasting and lots of visiting. We met with Becky and Richard last March in Arizona, on our way to the Grand Canyon, and I’m happy to have the chance to see her again.
My new exercise bike arrived on schedule last Monday, Brett got it assembled, and then I promptly pulled a muscle in my left leg by overextending it while I rode for the first time. That has almost healed though, and I’ll be back on the bike on Monday (at a different setting!). But, if it’s not one thing it’s another, and I also seem to have somehow developed a case of swimmer’s ear, so will be up to see the doctor this week to get that taken care of. On the other hand, my back is doing great! I rarely experience any pain now, and am pretty much back to doing everything again. Brett is helping more though – there are some activities that we think it’s best that I not do any more, like bending over to do the laundry, and such.
We had a lovely Thanksgiving Day and dinner out at the Hukilau. We had our traditional viewing of The Descendants before we left for dinner and discovered even more geographical weirdness/impossibilities – I guess the filmmakers figured that not enough people from Kaua’i would ever watch the movie that they had to strive for accuracy. Our Thanksgiving meals were amazing – YaYu is still talking about hers! The Hukilau gives you a LOT of food for your money, and we all brought home leftovers.
This afternoon I am:
- Reading: I’m still reading It Can’t Happen Here. I can only read a small amount at a time though because it’s too depressing otherwise. Another library book became available, The Wangs vs.the World, by Jade Chang, so I’m reading that as well.
- Listening to: Another cool, overcast breezy day here today. It’s quiet outside, just the birds singing, but the washing machine is doing its thing inside so not all that quiet inside.
- Watching: Brett and I are still watching The Americans; we’re into Season Three now. Such an intense show! We all watched The Descendents, with George Clooney, before heading out to our Thanksgiving dinner. Love that movie, but boy do they screw up some of the locations on Kaua’i.
- Cooking/baking: Tonight leftovers are on the menu, so no cooking today. We brought home food from the Hukilau on Thursday, and also have plenty of King Ranch casserole left over.
- Happy I accomplished this past week: I was able to return to the farmers’ market for the first time in weeks this past Wednesday, and enjoyed that again immensely. There wasn’t much on our agenda otherwise, but I got everything done around the house that I had planned, so feel good about that.
- Looking forward to next week: Besides our day with Becky tomorrow, there’s nothing on the calendar this week. We have to get one more thing for Meiling, and will take care of that this week, but when it’s done we are finished with our Christmas shopping!
- Thinking of good things that happened: We had a very nice week overall even though it’s been rainy and overcast most of the time. I got my hair cut, and Thanksgiving dinner was lovely. We had no food waste, and put $8.28 into the change/$1 bill jar.
- Grateful for: Even though Brett and I are very different people with divergent interests and tastes, I’m grateful that we still enjoy each other’s company so much, and agree on the “important things.” After nearly 40 years together, I’m still his best friend, and he’s mine. I love too that he can still surprise me after all this time, always when I think I finally have him completely figured out.
- Bonus question: Did you buy anything on Black Friday? I have never bought anything on Black Friday! There is nothing out there at any price that could entice me to get up early, or deal with the crowds. I try to have all my Christmas shopping done (mostly online) by the time Black Friday rolls around. Brett and I are picking up one more thing for the girls when we’re out on Sunday, and then other than picking up one gift card at Safeway, and finishing up our holiday food shopping, we are done and ready for Christmas!
Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend!