Last month, we bought the smallest spiral-sliced ham we could find at Costco, and have had some wonderful meals from it already, so I was a bit surprised when I checked this past weekend and found out how much we still had left. Ham therefore will be the star of this week’s menu, appearing in four different meals, but that should finish it off. We probably won’t buy another one until next year at Christmas – as much as we love ham, one is just too much for the three of us these days. We’ll have to find other ways to get our ham fix until then.
Otherwise, things are getting eaten up fairly quickly around here with WenYu still at home. Both girls are active, and have big appetites, so we’ve seen few leftovers, and if they do exist, they disappear quickly.
We’re looking forward to having the first of some teriyaki chicken & pineapple meatballs we picked up at Costco last week. A package of 60 was on sale for just a little over $10, and that many should see us through five or six meals. Besides the ham we will also be finishing up the last of the Costco roast chicken. Our egg meal this week will be omelets that will include ham.
Here’s our first-week-of-the-new-year menu:
- Tuesday (this evening): Chinese three-color salad (hiyashi chuka) with ham.
- Wednesday: Barbecue chicken quesadillas; coleslaw
- Thursday: Ham & vegetable fried rice
- Friday: Slow cooker split pea soup; country-style bread (YaYu will be at a team spaghetti dinner)
- Saturday: Denver omelets; biscuits; fruit
- Sunday: Homemade spaghetti with marinara; grilled Italian sausages; garlic bread; grilled zucchini
- Monday: Teriyaki chicken & pineapple meatballs; zaru soba; cucumber salad
All we’ll need from the farmers’ market this week will be cucumbers, zucchini and bananas – another quick trip!
Posting my menu each week last year has been key in helping us keep our food budget down, as well as keeping food waste to a minimum. I’m going to stick to doing it again this year.
What’s on your menu this week?