We’re starting the segue into “cleaning out the fridge” mode this week, trying to use up everything we have on hand before we leave for Japan. A few things can be put into the freezer while we’re gone, but most everything else that’s in the refrigerator now, other than condiments, will have to be eaten. The goal is to leave the refrigerator as empty as possible when we leave mid March.
We have one package of tofu left, and I’m looking forward to having the fried panko tofu cubes again this week. They were a big hit the last time we had them – the outside is nice and crispy, and the tofu inside becomes very creamy when cooked. Our dipping sauces will include teriyaki, barbecue, Thai spicy mango, Bulldog (Japanese-style Worchester sauce) and one of YaYu’s hot sauces. I might put out some catsup too.
By the way, the creamy red pepper alfredo sauce that YaYu made last week was AMAZING. Thank goodness we doubled the recipe, because I could sit and eat it with a spoon right out of the pan. I’ve been enjoying it on eggs, over leftover meatloaf, and with roasted vegetables. YUM!
Here’s what’s on our dinner menu this week:
- Tuesday (this evening): Grilled beef Polish sausages; sauerkraut; roasted carrots
- Wednesday: Leftover steak and zucchini stir fry; steamed rice (no rice for me)
- Thursday: Leftovers (first track meet of the season; B & Y won’t get home until after 8:00 p.m.)
- Friday: Fried panko tofu cubes with assorted dipping sauces; sweet & sour cole slaw
- Saturday: Thai-style pork stew; steamed jasmine rice; cucumber salad
- Sunday: Zucchini frittata; salami; garlic bread (no bread for me)
- Monday: Grill ahi tacos with fresh mango salsa; yellow rice (no tortillas or rice for me)
Purchases at the farmers’ market this week will be minimal, even if there are still tempting things to be found, like cauliflower and broccoli. Looking at the list all I can see that we have to buy is zucchini,but we will also probably also buy some papayas, bananas and bok choy as those will definitely get eaten before we go.