Well, a week still has seven days, but this is going to be a shorter week for me, cooking-wise. YaYu has her penultimate track meet of the season on Thursday, and then she leaves on Friday afternoon for the big Key Club leadership convention on Oahu. Our Friday night dinner, meatball subs, is super easy to prepare, and on Saturday evening Brett and I are taking our local anniversary staycation, and will be having dinner out that night (the restaurant is just a short walk from our hotel). So, there won’t be as many meals to prepare. Most meals require stovetop cooking, but if it gets hot again I’ll have YaYu step in and do some of the cooking.
We’re also getting close to our monthly Costco big shop next week. We’re in better shape than we usually are at this point in the month with what we have on hand. I’m not quite sure how or why that happened, but I still have a pretty full freezer and pantry to shop from when it comes to meal planning.
Every dish on the menu this week, at least when YaYu is home, is Asian – or as I like to call it, Asian-y – which will make her happy. I’ve got Thai, Japanese, and Chinese cuisines represented. Brett asked me the other day though if we could please have less Asian food once YaYu goes off to college! He likes Asian food, all kinds, and all the dishes I’m preparing this week, but said he’d prefer other things (I try, honest!). Hopefully the meatball sub on Friday evening and dinner out on Saturday will help break things up for him.
- Tuesday (this evening): Tofu & broccoli in spicy peanut sauce; steamed rice (no rice for me)
- Wednesday: Oyakodon; cucumber salad (no rice for me)
- Thursday: Leftovers (track meet)
- Friday: Meatball subs (just meatballs and sauce for me); a salad for Brett
- Saturday: Anniversary dinner at Sam’s Ocean View
- Sunday evening: Chinese stir-fried tomatoes and eggs; steamed rice; cucumbers (no rice for me)
- Monday: Noodles with pork sauce; sautéed bok choy (no noodles for me)
We’ll just need cucumbers, tomatoes and bok choy this week from the farmers’ market. I bought broccoli last week, and may buy more if I see it again, and we’ll also be picking up more papayas and bananas as well.