Shopping week! Thank goodness too – other than having several protein choices on hand, we are out of almost everything else needed to make a meal. I actually had a little trouble coming up with what to have for dinner tonight because there is no produce left in the house – we finished all of that up over the weekend and yesterday. For some reason we forgot to buy more zucchini at the farmers’ market last week, so tonight it’s just spaghetti with marinara and meatballs, and bread for YaYu and Brett. Does marinara count as a vegetable?
The egg foo yung, pad thai and Chinese three-color salad will use up our monthly Costco roast chicken. I also will be using some of it to make chicken salad for sandwiches, or in my case, to eat with tomatoes. I add diced celery, sliced green onion, and slivered almonds to my chicken salad, and blend with a curry mayonnaise. YaYu likes the almonds left out, and blended with sriracha mayonnaise. To each his own.
Asian dishes still seem to be dominating this week’s menu:
- Tuesday (this evening): Spaghetti with meatballs; garlic bread (just meatballs and sauce for me)
- Wednesday: Mabo dofu; steamed rice; cucumbers (no rice for me)
- Thursday: Egg drop soup; egg foo yung; steamed rice (no rice for me)
- Friday: Leftovers (track finals)
- Saturday: Pad Thai with chicken; cucumber salad (not sure what I’ll have)
- Sunday: Chinese three-color salad (hiyashi chuka) with chicken (salad toppings only for me)
- Monday: Grilled fish tacos with mango salsa; yellow rice (no rice or tortillas for me)
Besides picking up mung bean sprouts at the farmers’ market, we’ll also need cucumbers, tomatoes, zucchini and a jalapeño pepper, as well as bananas and papayas. Mangoes are showing up at the market now, but they’re still too expensive. We have a bag of frozen mango chunks that I can use to make Friday night’s salsa.
Fingers are crossed that we come in under budget with our monthly big shop!