This is one of those years where both my birthday and Mother’s Day fall on the same day. When I was growing up, I hated when this happened because it was always just Mother’s Day. My parents never made a big to-do about birthdays as it was, but in this case it was like my birthday didn’t even exist, which was pretty hard to take when I was young.
These days I’m the one that doesn’t care so much about birthday celebrations, at least not my own. And, on Mother’s Day these past few years I’ve been thrilled with my Day of Doing Nothing, where Brett and the girls take care of everything, so that will be plenty for my birthday as well, including what they prepare for me to eat. I guess I could make a request for something special for Sunday’s dinner, but I’ve decided to leave it up to Brett and YaYu. She loves to cook, and I know she’ll make something fabulous (and low carb). At least I know there will be no cake!
In my quest to spend as little time as possible in the kitchen now that it’s getting warmer (re. HOT), I’m trying out two new recipes this week: Slow Cooker Balsamic Pork Roast, from Skinnytaste, and Huli Huli chicken, a Hawaiian favorite. I saw lots of other recipes I’d like to try, but almost all of them called for honey, which we are out of right now, so they’ll have to wait until next month.
Here’s what we’re having this week:
- Tuesday (this evening): Grilled chicken & apple sausages; couscous; steamed artichokes (no couscous for me)
- Wednesday: Grilled teriyaki chicken; zaru soba; cucumber salad (no soba for me – sob!)
- Thursday: Slow cooker balsamic pork roast; steamed artichokes; bread (no bread for me)
- Friday: Huli huli chicken; steamed rice; cucumbers (no rice for me)
- Saturday: Leftovers
- Sunday: Whatever Brett and YaYu want to fix
- Monday: Spaghetti & meatballs w/marinara; grilled zucchini; garlic bread
We’ll need to pick up zucchini, cucumbers, green onions, ginger, papayas and bananas this week at the farmers’ market, and anything Brett or YaYu needs for Sunday. After a couple of slim weeks, cucumbers are in abundance again, so we want to buy several for both our meals and to make some refrigerator pickles. Otherwise, we have everything else needed to prepare this week’s menu.