- Instead of paying to park when we picked up WenYu at the airport on Tuesday evening, Brett dropped YaYu and me off at the terminal, and then waited in the cell phone lot until WenYu was off the plane and had her luggage. Savings = $5.00.
- Brett and I limited ourselves to just two items when we got together with Renee and friends last Saturday for lunch at Street Burger. I ordered a bacon-blue cheese burger, which I split with Brett, and he ordered the Texas Poutine (otherwise known as fancy chili fries). We drank water instead of ordering beverages off the menu, and our bill came to just $24. Brett brought home over half of the poutine as well as the fries that came with my burger, and those leftovers provided dinner for him and YaYu that evening, and lunch again for Brett the next day.
- The big roast chickens from Costco, at $4.99 each, are the best deal around. We bought two of them this month: one is in the fridge and is being used for meals this week, and Brett stripped the meat off the second one, which went into the freezer for meals in the future. We’ll get seven main dishes and lots of chicken salad for sandwiches from the two chickens for less than $10.
- We cut back our weekly farmers’ market budget from $20 to $15, because we’ve discovered that we can still get an awful lot of beautiful produce for that amount. Also, now that the heat and humidity are with us again produce has the potential to spoil faster, and we don’t like to keep any more than a week’s worth of produce on hand, even if it’s in the fridge.
- We received word this week that YaYu’s round-trip flight to and from the Honolulu airport in June for her trip to China will be covered by the organization sponsoring the tour, a savings of $160 (or 15,000 frequent flyer miles, which is how we were going to purchase the tickets). YaYu and one other girl from Kaua’i are the only two students not already living on Oahu, and the organization did not think it was right that they had to pay more than others in the group to make the trip.
What frugal wins did you have this week?