Reader Nancy asked in the comments the other day where I had published my travel bucket list because she couldn’t find it, and I answered that I had never actually published one in the blog. Why? Because it’s always changing! There are a few places and trips that have remained constant, but places that I was eager to see two or three years ago have been bumped by other spots, or just don’t seem quite as interesting any more as other places.
But, Nancy’s comment has inspired me to try and come up with a list. I ended up dividing it into three sections: Dream Trips, Places I Very Much Want To See, and Places I’d Like To Visit But Won’t Feel Badly If I Don’t Get To. I guess I could also add a section on places I don’t want to go, but if it’s not on any of the other lists you can pretty much figure it’s not someplace I’m as eager to visit (but of course would go if I won a free trip or something).
Japan, of course, is in a category all its own and doesn’t need to be on any list.
#1 – Dream Trips:
- Botswana (one of the national parks)
- The Western U.S. National Park Loop
#2 – Places I Very Much Want To Visit:
- Lisbon, Portugal
- Florence, Sienna, the Amalfi Coast and the Cinque Terre, Italy
- Amsterdam, the Netherlands
- Paris and Normandy, France
- Toledo and Barcelona, Spain
- Athens, Greece
- Switzerland (pretty much all of it)
- Vienna and Salzburg, Austria
- Prague, The Czech Republic
- Scandanavia (pretty much all of it)
- England (pretty much all of it)
- Edinburgh and the Highlands, Scotland
- Ireland (all of it)
- Marrakesh and Chefchaouen (the blue city), Morocco
- Bangkok, Thailand
- New Zealand
- Sydney, Australia
- Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Mexico City and San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
- Alaska, up to Anchorage by ferry via the Inland Passage
#3 – Places I’d Like To Visit But Won’t Feel Badly If I Don’t:
- Iceland (I’m probably the only person in the world who isn’t itching to go here)
- Rome and Venice, Italy
As you can see, the middle list is pretty long – there’s lots I want to see! There’s nothing really out of the way or exotic about any of these places on my lists, but I love visiting cities and museums and such so that’s what fills the lists. Some places, like Hong Kong or Beijing, are not on the list because we’ve been before, and some places Brett isn’t very much interested in (although he has his own list) but we pretty much agree on most places we’d like to visit some day. And, I’m sure there are some places I’ve just forgotten to put on the list.
I’m fairly sure there’s no way we’re going to get to see all of these places, but once we get our last little bird launched out of the nest Brett and I are going to try and see as much as we can for as long as we can, as well as trying to get over to Japan every year for a few months to spend time with our grandchildren.
And yes, our BIG Mystery Adventure™ can be found tucked in among all these places!