With YaYu over in Oahu this week it’s just Brett, WenYu and me holding down the fort here at dinner – except for the nights when WenYu is working. YaYu will be home on Friday evening, so we’ll be back at full strength for three nights until she leaves for China next week and then I’ll be working around WenYu’s schedule again.
It’s making meal planning a bit of a challenge, but on the plus side it means there should be lots of leftovers once again for lunches and such. I also have the chance to fix or try dishes that YaYu doesn’t particularly care for, like chicken adobo with bok choy (I thought she liked it, but she let me know last month it was not a particular favorite. WenYu, on the other hand has been asking me to fix it). The black pepper chicken thigh recipe came across in my Facebook feed a couple of weeks ago and is right in our wheelhouse when it comes to flavors. I’m trying it while YaYi is gone though because she doesn’t care for cashews. If the rest of us like the dish though I’ll make it again after she’s home, but let her take out her cashews.
Here’s what’s on the menu this week:
- Tuesday (this evening): Meatball subs; fresh vegetable tray
- Wednesday: Black pepper chicken thighs with mangoes, rum and cashews; steamed rice
- Thursday: Slow cooker chicken adobo with bok choy; steamed rice
- Friday: Grilled fish tacos with fresh mango salsa; yellow rice
- Saturday: Leftovers
- Sunday: Egg foo yung with brown sauce; egg drop soup; steamed rice; cucumber salad
- Monday: Grilled chicken & vegetable skewers; couscous
We’ll need to pick up a couple of fresh mangoes this week at the farmers’ market, along cucumbers, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, sweet onions, green onions, papaya and bananas. We need mung bean sprouts as well, but will stop by Big Save to get those – they spoil quickly and I won’t be cooking with them until Sunday. We may also need to buy the sweet onions there as well if we don’t see them at the market.