Happy Fourth of July! We’ve got nothing special planned for tonight other than a traditional American meal of hamburgers, french fries and watermelon. The Kaua’i Hospice sponsors a big fireworks show, but admission is quite high so we’re skipping it (again) this year.
I did not menu plan last week, and boy was I surprised by how much I have depended on my weekly plan. I thought I might feel more relaxed without one, but instead felt lost and sometimes even a bit anxious even though we have plenty of supplies on hand. WenYu also had a different work schedule last week so we also ended up with w-a-y more leftovers than usual. Anyway, I’m happy to be back to making a regular plan and sticking to it.
We’ve been having problems with our refrigerator too – on some days it seems to feel the need to go into “super cold” mode and has frozen some things versus just keeping them cold, like the eggs, yogurt, some vegetables and so forth. Most of the things, except for the vegetables, we’ve been able to save, but it’s puzzling as it’s been so inconsistent.
Here’s what we’re having this week:
- Tuesday (this evening): Grilled hamburgers; french fries; watermelon (no roll or fries for me).
- Wednesday: Chicken curry with potato, carrot and onion; steamed rice; cucumbers (no potato or rice for me)
- Thursday: Beef & zucchini stir fry; steamed rice (I’m skipping the rice)
- Friday: Slow cooker kalua pork; steamed rice; macaroni salad; coleslaw (just pork and coleslaw for me)
- Saturday: Leftovers; YOYO
- Sunday: Scotch eggs; toast for everyone but me; fruit
- Monday: Grilled Italian sausages, spaghetti w/ pesto; steamed artichokes; garlic bread (zoodles for me, and I’ll skip the bread)
We’ll be getting mainly fruit at the farmers’ market as well as plenty of zucchini and cucumbers. Since only Brett and WenYu will be having macaroni salad on Friday, rather than making it at home we’ll pick up a small container at Pono Market.