And, another lazy summer week comes to a close. It’s been an OK week, with just one day of nearly unbearable humidity. Otherwise the trade winds have been blowing, and it although it’s been hot it’s been bearable. The mornings have all be especially lovely. Last Wednesday though the winds stopped for the day up here on the hill, and it felt like we were stuck inside a hot, wet blanket for the day. We spent a couple of lovely hours on the beach, which helped immensely.
Today is also the last day of this year’s summer break. YaYu heads back to school tomorrow, although her actual classes don’t begin until Tuesday. Tomorrow she’ll be volunteering and helping the incoming first-year students find their classrooms, etc. She got the schedule and classes she wants for this year, and is closing in on getting her main college application and essays done.
WenYu doesn’t head back to Massachusetts until the end of the month, but as the summer tourist season is still in full swing, she is staying busy at her job. She’s been happily surprised by how much money she is making this summer – she’ll leave the island in very good financial shape. The restaurant has already let her know that they should have hours for her when she’s home for winter break, and that they would like to train her as a server next summer!
This afternoon I am:
- Reading: I just started Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedalia on Friday and of course have already caught myself laughing out loud several times. I’ve read many of his other books, but had somehow missed this one.
- Listening to: The dryer is going across the room, but otherwise it’s lovely and quiet inside. As I’m writing this the neighbor across the street is having their septic tank emptied and the truck is VERY loud (and smelly). Hopefully this process won’t take too long.
- Watching: Brett and I started Season 1 of American Crime this last week – yowza! The acting is superb, and the storyline has sparked some interesting discussions at the dinner table (the girls have already watched it – they were the ones to recommend we did too). I’m watching Inspector Lewis episodes while I work on Swagbucks at night, except last night WenYu and I watched Titanic. We got a good laugh over Netflix’s description of the film: “Distraught over her engagement to a cruel millionaire, a young woman falls for a struggling artist as they set sail across the Atlantic,” like they didn’t want to give away the ending or something.
- Cooking/baking: Still no baking, but hopefully by the end of the week – the oven part is in and final repairs are scheduled for Friday. We’re all looking forward to having loco moco tonight. I know I will get critiques from both girls if my version doesn’t meet their high standards 😉, but I’m going to do my best. I won’t be having rice with mine – just the burger patty, egg and gravy.
- Happy I accomplished this past week: We got YaYu’s luggage for next year ordered from Eddie Bauer – they were having a 40% off sale, so it was time to buy. She already has a carry-on bag, so we bought her the extra-large- and a medium-size suitcases. Other than riding the exercise bike every day, drinking eight glasses or more of water every day, and doing at least 10 minutes of language study, I don’t think I accomplished much of anything. When it’s as hot as it is now, I’m thrilled to get dinner on the table every evening, and the housework done.
- Looking forward to next week: Both Brett and I want to get back to the beach at least one day. With the breeze it’s the perfect place to escape the heat and read and relax (especially if you’re under the umbrella like I am). With the kids all back in school I’m also looking forward to the neighborhood quieting down again. It’s been a noisy summer – the girl who lives across the street acquired a boyfriend with a very noisy truck, and he and his friends, who also all have noisy trucks, have been visiting all summer.
- Thinking of good things that happened: We all had such a good time playing mini golf last weekend, and it was free! The course looked deceptively simple, but it turned out to be rather difficult. Brett and YaYu turned out to be skilled mini-golfers; WenYu and I, not so much. We also were able to spend a lovely afternoon at the beach on Thursday – one of the nicest days there I can remember.
- Grateful for: I’ve been feeling very thankful lately for the people who not only continue to find what I have to say on this blog mildly interesting, but also take the time to comment. I love interacting with my readers, and I’ve been blessed to meet and become friends with a few over the past couple of years.
- Bonus question: Do you like roller coasters or other “thrill rides? It depends. I do like roller coasters, but I don’t like going upside down, so that rules out some. I also don’t like rides that spin around – I’ve never gotten sick, but don’t like the way I feel for a while afterwards. I absolutely love The Tower of Terror at Disney World, but the rest of the family thinks I’m nuts. I haven’t done it, but I could see myself bungee jumping, or sky diving.
That’s all for this week! How did your week go What good things happened for you?