Chili pork sauce with rice is back on the menu again this week because we didn’t have it last week. Why? Because when I went out the freezer to get the pork chops . . . there were no pork chops (so we had noodles with pork sauce instead). We also didn’t get to have the Shakshuka last week (fried rice got bumped to Sunday) so will have it on Sunday.
This week’s Big Shop will be strategic, not just because we are out of so much, but because the small freezer we keep out in the garage started shutting down this past weekend. We have no idea why, but something seemed to be tripping the GFCI plug – our hypothesis is that it was the higher than normal humidity we experienced last week, but until we know for sure if it’s a temporary problem with the outlet, or something going haywire with the freezer, we’re going to buy less this week and store it in the limited freezer space we have inside.
So, this week’s menu will use up as much as possible of the little we have leftover from last month’s shopping and our Big Shop won’t be so big this time. If the freezer is shot, we’ll most likely be doing Small Shops at Costco once a week instead of our usual once a month trip.
Here’s what’s on the menu this week:
- Tuesday (this evening): Spaghetti w/marinara and meatballs; roasted mixed vegetables
- Wednesday: Grilled fish tacos with mango salsa; yellow rice
- Thursday: Chili pork sauce; steamed rice; coleslaw
- Friday: Grilled chicken wings; onion rings; wilted cucumber salad
- Saturday: Leftovers
- Sunday: Shakshuka; couscous; cucumbers
- Monday: Chicken & vegetable curry; steamed basmati rice
We’ll be shopping for zucchini, cucumbers, and tomatoes this week at the farmers’ market, as well as bananas and a papaya. We’ll be picking up other fresh vegetables when we’re at Costco.