This is one of those weeks that when it comes to menu planning I just feel meh. We’re coming up on another Big Shop next week, which means supplies on hand are dwindling and it’s a bit more difficult to be inspired or creative.
Plus, YaYu’s sulking about several of last week’s dinners hasn’t helped my mood either. She now nearly refuses to eat chicken – this from a girl who adored chicken and could field strip a chicken bone like no one else when she arrived home 12 years ago. I told her that chicken would continue to show up on the menu because her dad and I both like it, and it’s an affordable protein. If she had her way these days though we’d be eating nothing but pork and noodles doused in a LOT of hot sauce, and maybe some seafood occasionally. I don’t know how she’s going to manage at college.
The new swim practice schedule is also going to take some getting used to when it comes to preparing dinner (thankfully though we don’t observe Daylight Savings here). We won’t be getting home until nearly six in the evening, which means I’ll need to start doing a lot of the prep work earlier in the day, and we’ll need to start the rice cooker before we leave for our walk and to pick up YaYu.
Here’s what we’re having for dinner this week:
- Tuesday (this evening): Lumpia; steamed rice; Asian-y coleslaw (no rice for me)
- Wednesday: Chicken tacos; yellow rice; cucumbers (I’ll have a “deconstructed” taco, i.e. no tortilla. No rice either for me).
- Thursday: Grilled Polish sausages; grilled zucchini; pilaf (I’m skipping the pilaf)
- Friday: Fried rice with vegetables & ham (not sure what I’ll be having)
- Saturday: Leftovers
- Sunday: Breakfast for dinner: scrambled eggs; bacon; toast; fruit (I’m skipping the toast)
- Monday: Pork & pepper stir-fry; steamed rice (no rice for me)
We’ll need cucumbers, tomatoes; zucchini, and a papaya from the farmers’ market. I’m hoping to also get a green pepper or two (to supplement what we have on hand), but they’re not always available. Dragonfruit is still in season, and YaYu likes it in her lunch so we’ll probably pick up a couple of those as well.
P.S. Brett and YaYu will be taking over the cooking duties for a while – explanation coming tomorrow!