- We had no food waste this week. I used up all sorts of vegetable odds and ends that were hanging out in the fridge by making a big pan of mixed roasted vegetables – yum!
- YaYu is the queen of fundraising to help reduce her school and/or club expenses, and this past week she asked her school’s foundation if they could help support the 15 students signed up to attend the state Key Club convention in Honolulu. The foundation donated $1500 to help cover costs, $100 per person to reduce their cost for the trip!
- This past week was our quarterly propane fill-up. As with other utilities, we’ve worked at reducing our gas usage (we have a gas range, gas dryer, and an on-demand gas water heater), and our bill was $43 dollars less than the last fill-up.
- It’s Black Friday today and we are not buying anything. Nor will we buy anything on Cyber Monday. However, we are going to Costco tomorrow to pick up four items including local favorites that will be on sale: POG (passionfruit, orange and guava juice) – buy one gallon get one free; Kaua’i-made Anahola granola – $2 off a 1.5 pound bag; a box of Japanese sweet cakes (imagawayaki) – $2.50 off; and a pork tenderloin roast – $8 off. Last year we got an 8-lb roast for just $6. The girls love POG, and along with some champagne it makes a very tasty mimosa.
- We put $5.00 in the change/$1 bill jar this week, left over from the farmers’ market.
What frugal wins did you have?