This is the last week for a while of just Brett, YaYu and me at the dinner table. Meiling arrives home next Monday, and WenYu will be here a week or so after that. Both girls have made lists of the dishes they want me to prepare while they’re home, favorites that they miss while away at school. Both are hearty eaters too, so we are not likely to have many leftovers in the coming days for YaYu’s lunches. And of course, holiday meals will be coming up as well. I will be busy in the kitchen, but on the plus side am likely to get a lot of help from the girls, especially Meiling, who has finally taken up learning to cook.
I can’t wait! I am greatly looking forward to having both our college girls back home for a while, and to cook for them again. But in the meantime, I am going to enjoy the calm of this week and cooking for just the three of us.
The cilantro and lime chicken things we were going to have last week got bumped to this week – YaYu had an evening event last Friday so Brett and I ate leftovers, and I pushed everything back a day on the menu to cover for that.
Here’s what we’re having this week:
- Tuesday (this evening): Cilantro and lime chicken thighs; grilled asparagus; cilantro rice (no rice for me)
- Wednesday: Chicken curry with vegetables; steamed basmati rice (just curry for me)
- Thursday: Potstickers; steamed rice; coleslaw (not sure what I’m having)
- Friday: Grilled pork chops; roasted mixed vegetables; couscous (I’m skipping the couscous)
- Saturday: Leftovers
- Sunday: Scrambled eggs; grilled breakfast sausage; fruit; toast (I’m skipping the toast)
- Monday: Grilled Italian sausage sandwiches with sautéed peppers and onions (no bread for me)
All we really need this week from the farmers’ market are cucumbers and papayas. If the farmers have broccoli we’ll get some of that too, and maybe some cauliflower.