We arrived to some humid, wet, overcast and windy weather when we initially arrived on Kaua’i. The sun eventually appeared for a while but today we’re back to clouds and wind. Still, all is well, and we’ve have been having a simply wonderful, relaxing time on Kaua’i as well as a great time with our friends, Alan and Cheryl. Here’s a little of what we’ve been up to:
- Eating fresh papaya for breakfast every morning. Eating lots of tropical fruit, actually. I am in heaven.
- Having Puka dogs with coconut relish and lilikoi mustard along with a cup of their fresh-squeezed lemonade for lunch one day.
- Enjoying Ice cream at Lappert’s in Poipu. I had Kaua’i pie (Kona coffee ice cream with coconut, macadamia nuts, and fudge) and Brett chose Mauna Kea’s Secret (vanilla ice cream with raspberries and fudge brownies).
- Eating Lilikoi chiffon pie at Hamura’s. My goodness, that is some really, really good pie.
- Visiting Wailua Falls and Opaekaa Falls. There’s been lots of rain recently so both falls are running strong.
- Walking on the beach path. No matter the weather, it’s always beautiful. The surf was very strong and loud the day we were out – we loved it.
- Going to the Kapaa farmers’ market. Our favorite farmers are still there and they remembered us!
- Eating shave ice. Wailua Sunrise (orange and pineapple) with haupia foam for me, strawberry coconut with foam for Brett.
- Finding geckos everywhere!
- Enjoying the beautiful hibiscus in bloom all over the place
- Having dinner at Street Burger in Wailua
Tonight we’re heading up to the north shore along with Cheryl and Alan to visit the Kilauea lighthouse and then meet our friend Joy for drinks and pupus (appetizers) at a place in Princeville. Tomorrow morning we’re going down to Lihue to the Tip Top Cafe for breakfast, then over to the Saturday farmers’ market at the nearby community college, and we will hopefully be able to follow that with a walk to the Pineapple Dump. Blue skies returned for a while on Wednesday afternoon and Thursday so we did get to enjoy some sunshine!
There’s a very good chance we’re going to come back to Kaua’i when we’re done traveling. Bad weather, good weather, humidity, or whatever, it’s still felt like we’re back home the whole time, and we still love it here.