In spite of everything 2020 has thrown at us, Brett and I have much to be thankful for this year. Plans and dreams were thrown to the wind back in March when the pandemic began to rear its ugly head, both while we were in Japan and in the U.S., but in spite of some roadblocks that have popped up now and again we’ve had a very good year overall.
Gratitude for all that we have is what has kept me sane this year, and I have much to be thankful for:
- Health: I am extremely grateful for our continued good health, the health of our children and their significant others, and our grandchildren. Also, who knew at the beginning of the year that this would be the one where Brett and I finally got our act together as far as diet and exercise? We’ve at last figured out a way exercising that we enjoy doing and that works for us, and we’re getting in shape and losing weight. We’ve also set goals that make sure we maintain and improve on what we’re doing now.
- Family: We are also truly blessed that all of our family is thriving, and in spite of not being able to get together this year following our departure from Japan, we’ve all done more than a good job of staying in touch and checking up on each other. We’re feeling hopeful and optimistic that we’ll be able to put together a reunion next year. As always, I’m grateful for the love, support, friendship, and companionship of my husband, Brett. I got lucky with this one.
- Kaua’i: Our sudden return to Kaua’i last March was frankly a shock to our system, but now we couldn’t be more happy that we decided to come back, and are beyond thankful that our kids encouraged us to return and settle here again. This time we seem to be better at appreciating what we have here, and are more appreciative of our quiet lifestyle. While not free from the virus, Kaua’i continues to be an extremely safe place to be during the pandemic, and we are grateful for the commitment of those who live here and now visitors about wearing masks, maintaining social distance, and practicing other safe behaviors. While we enjoyed the months we had this year without visitors and traffic, we’re genuinely glad to see businesses picking up again and people going back to work, and are thankful that Hawaii’s testing protocol and quarantine seem to be keeping the virus at bay.
- Many blessings: Both Brett and I have received many blessings this year, from spending time with friends here on the island to a long stay near our family in Japan at the beginning of the year to finding a great place to live when we unexpectedly returned to Kaua’i (and the good fortune of being able to buy back our old car). We’re blessed to have a solid, dependable income, always enough to eat, and to be able to live in such a beautiful part of our country.
- My readers: I have the best readers in the world, and I am always thankful for all who continue to visit the blog and read whatever I have to say. I’m grateful as well for the advice, support, and kind comments I receive. I am lucky beyond measure to have met several readers in real life and become friends with them, and hope I am able to meet many more in the years ahead.
Wishing all my readers, their friends and family, a very happy Thanksgiving. It’s been a wild ride this year, but worth remembering that “It’s not happy people who are grateful, it’s thankful people who are happy.”
8 thoughts on “So Very Thankful”
Well, we both had good years! Yippee! I got new hips out of the deal, Les continues to do well and life is good. Now if this rain would stop!!!!! Happy Thanksgiving to you and Brett. Hope we can see each other one of these days!
So, so happy to hear from you, and to know you and Les are doing well. We plan to go up to the north side again in a couple of weeks to hike the Stone Dam trail again, and I will contact you ahead of time and hopefully we can get together then.
You know, we should have had a spa day on November 4 LOL.
I am sick of the rain and clouds and cold. We’re still able to get out and walk most days thankfully, but it’s not the same when rain is always threatening.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and Les!!
Wonderful post, Laura! Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, Laurel!!
I also have much to be thankful for and reading your blog is on that list! Happy Thanksgiving Laura and Brett!
Thank you so much, Barbara, for coming along on the ride! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours this year!
Thank you for continuing to provide us with fun and informative insight into your life adventure. Even though we are hampered by the pandemic we do, truly, have a lot to be thankful for in life. I always look forward to your Sunday posts. I hope that you continue to post and I hope that you are able to get back out traveling soon!
Happy Thanksgiving from Texas!!!!
Writing has turned out to be therapeutic for me, and I’m thankful people seem to enjoy our family goings on. Thank you so much for tuning in!
If you had told me six months ago that I’d feel thankful now I would have thought you were mad, but when I stop to reflect things are better than we had hoped for at this time.
No traveling next year, but we will be gearing up to go in 2022! We’ll still have plenty to do next year to stay busy and get us prepared to go.
Comments are closed.